The Social Fund of the Russian Federation has developed a cost recovery program for the burial of the deceased for a number of categories of citizens in need of state support. It is regulated according to the Order of the SFR No. 1471 dated 07/28/2023. Consider the list of funeral services included in the package guaranteed by the state, how much financial support can be counted on. We will also consider the issue of the amount of the burial allowance in 2024.
Types of compensation for burial costs
At the time of writing, there are several types of payments available in Russia:
- Burial allowance is an amount available to all citizens who spent money on burial from their budget (in one payment mode-one allowance).
- Compensation for funeral expenses – implies a refund of the amount actually spent by the relatives of the deceased. The payment is due only to certain categories of citizens.
- Compensation for the monument is an analogue of the previous type of compensation, available only to a number of categories. For example, the family of a serviceman.
There is also the right to receive a survivor’s pension if someone in the family is unable to work (a minor, etc.).
Guaranteed list of funeral services
The State provides a number of funeral services free of charge. This is called a guaranteed list of burial services. The procedure is regulated by Article 9 of Law No.8-FZ of 06/13/2023.
The list includes:
- Registration of documents.
- Delivery of the coffin and accessories like ribbons, bedspreads.
- Organization of transportation of the deceased to the cemetery.
- The burial procedure with the installation of a tombstone.
During cremation, the body is taken to the crematorium and then an urn with ashes is given to relatives. The list is specified by local governments, the requirements and cost of each service are determined by the government.
Most often, relatives provide funerals on their own. They apply to one of the local funeral agencies, pay for services from their own funds. Upon completion, they take documents confirming expenses (Article 10 of Law No. 8). As a result, the citizen receives an allowance and compensation for part of the amount spent. The latter is not available to everyone.
The amount of the burial allowance
The burial allowance has a fixed amount, so it is worth clarifying it in advance in order to take it into account when spending your own funds.
- The federal part in the amount of 7,793.48 rubles. It is paid in all regions of the Russian Federation. This figure is indexed periodically.
- A district coefficient that allows you to increase the amount. It is usually used in northern, hard-to-reach, arid regions. The value is from 1.2 to 2.
- Regional payments. An optional rule. Each region independently decides under what conditions to make an additional payment
In part, the amount depends on the status of the deceased citizen. For example, increased benefits are set for the military, the unemployed or people with disabilities.
To whom and how many funeral payments are due
Let’s briefly consider the categories of citizens who are entitled to payments from the state related to the burial of loved ones.
A basic federal allowance of 7,793.48 rubles is available to all pensioners. Regions have the right to increase it, for example, for unemployed individuals. persons or by other criteria. So, in Moscow, since 02/01/2023, a fixed surcharge in the amount of 13,666 rubles has been established. The main thing is that the deceased should be permanently registered in the capital.
Victims of the Chernobyl accident
This category also includes employees of the Mayak production association. Both groups of citizens receive additional funds – 15,660 rubles. (size set 01.01.2023).
They are paid in the following cases:
- There was radiation sickness, other diseases associated with radiation or with the results of the liquidation of the consequences of the Chernobyl accident.
- The same applies only to employees of the Mayak software (the reason was exposure to radiation or the ingress of waste into the river Techa).
- He was disabled as a result of one of the two industrial accidents listed above.
Payments are regulated by Articles 14 of Law No. 1244-1 of 05/15/1991 and Articles 2 and 3 of Law No. 175-FZ (with current amendments).
At the funeral of a military pensioner or an employee of law enforcement agencies, relatives receive an allowance in the amount of 3 pensions (paragraphs 21, 22 of Resolution of the Council of Ministers – Government of the Russian Federation No. 941 dated 09/22/1993)
If the buried person belonged to the category of senior or senior officers, the rules are as follows:
- The spouse will receive a breadwinner’s pension for 3 months.
- An incapacitated family member will receive a survivor’s pension for 1 month.
Instead of a benefit, compensation for the costs incurred is possible. The funds are returned according to the checks issued at the funeral agency. The amount limit is 33,005 rubles. for Moscow and St. Petersburg, 23,837 rubles. for the rest of Russia.
Disabled people and WWII participants
Depending on the status of the WWII participant, the relatives of the deceased are paid either a basic federal allowance in the amount of 7,793.48 rubles, or a pension for three months. In the first case, regional allowances may be applied.
For example, in St. Petersburg, relatives of WWII veterans, concentration camp prisoners, and rehabilitated persons are paid 12,352.60 rubles. But provided that the applicant is registered in the city and the average income per family member does not exceed two subsistence minimums in St. Petersburg.
The burial allowance for the death of a minor is received by parents or other citizens involved in funerals. They are paid 7,793.48 rubles., It is possible to apply a regional surcharge. There are no other conditions for increasing the amount.
At the birth of a stillborn child
Burial allowance, if the child was stillborn, is paid provided that the gestation period was over 22 weeks (5 months or 154 days). In general, the rate of 7,793.48 rubles is valid in Russia. In Moscow, an additional 13,888 rubles are paid.
If the deceased was employed on the day of death
The allowance for employed citizens is paid through the SFR through the employer. In all subjects of the Russian Federation, the rate is the same – 7,793.48 rubles. (taking into account the district coefficient).
If the deceased was not employed on the day of death
For non-working citizens, they receive funds in the amount of 7,793.48 rubles, with the application of allowances within the region. For example, in Moscow, an additional 13,888 rubles are added to the amount, but only on condition that the deceased was permanently registered in the capital.
Who receives the benefit
The funds are paid to those who have incurred the cost of organizing the funeral. It doesn’t have to be a relative. Money will also be given to a colleague, friend, neighbor on the site. One person is paid for one funeral.
Where to get burial allowance
The department to contact depends on who the deceased was.
- Employer – the allowance is paid where the deceased was employed on the day of death (only on condition that contributions to the SFR were transferred for him). If the deceased was not yet 18 years old, the person organizing the funeral will receive money from his employer.
- SFR – funds are paid at the place of receipt of the pension. The Social Fund will serve a pensioner, an unemployed person, an individual entrepreneur who does not pay voluntary contributions to social services for himself. insurance, a stillborn child, a minor, if the parents have an official status of unemployed.
- Military enlistment office or departmental pension department – refers to the Ministry of Defense, Interior Ministry, FSB, etc.
You should contact the military enlistment office in the morning, directly to the pension department. This way, it is more likely that employees will have enough time to consult and receive documents.